Who Kissi Agyebeng the Special Prosecutor of Ghana?
Real name William Kissi Agyebeng is an accomplished Ghanaian lawyer, lecturer at the University of Ghana, and the Special Prosecutor of Ghana
Mr Kissi has long been the legal counsel for the famous Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, and Ghana Blackstar player, Asamoah Gyan.
He is well-versed in corporate law, commercial law, maritime law, international commercial arbitration, and international business transactions.
Lawyer Kissi’s legal acumen and expertise has seen him become very successful in the numerous cases brought before the superior courts of Ghana, and also in international arbitration hearings.
- Who Kissi Agyebeng the Special Prosecutor of Ghana?
- Date of Birth
- Early Life
- Wife, Children
- Senior High School, University Education
- The Special Prosecutor of Ghana
- Kissi Agyebeng Career
- Kissi Agyebeng Law Firm, Legal Practice
- Net Worth
- Kissi Agyebeng Selected Cases Conducted
- Kissi Agyebeng Credentials
- Kissi Agyebeng Areas of Expertise
- Kissi Agyebeng Publications
- Kissi Agyebeng Fellowships
- Kissi Agyebeng Facebook
Date of Birth
William Kissi Agyebeng was born on Sunday, July 2nd, 1978.
Kissi Agyebeng is currently 44 years old and will be 45 come 2nd July this year, 2023.
Willaim Kissi Agyebeng was born to Mr and Mrs Agyebeng in Ghana.
Kissi agyebeng’s elder brother, who lives abroad, is known as Sefah Agyebeng.
Mr Kissi also has a younger brother who is known as Owuraku Agyebeng.
He was born on a rainy Sunday morning, July 2nd, 1978, up the popular mountains of Kwahu Tafo in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
That is where he was raised before he moved to the Greater Accra Region, Ghana.
Kissi Agyebeng hails from Kwahu Nkwatia in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
Kissi Agyebeng is a Christian by faith.
Mr Kissi is currently married to a beautiful Ghanaian woman.
Senior High School, University Education
Kissi Agyebeng went to Accra Academy in Accra, where he obtained his Ordinary Level (O-Level) certificate in 1994 and his Advanced Level (A-Level) certificate in 1996.
In 2001, Kissi Agyebeng Esq. graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree from the University of Ghana with First Class Honours, winning Bentsi-Enchill Prize for Best Graduating Law Student of the University of Ghana School of Law.
Mr Kissi proceeded to the Ghana School of Law in 2001 and graduated in 2003, earning the E.N. Sowah Memorial Award for Best Student in Family Law.
In October, 2003, he was called to the Ghana Bar.
In 2004, Kissi Agyebeng was admitted to the Schulich School of Law, University of Dallhousie, where he studied Marine and Environmental Law, graduating in 2005.
After his postgraduate studies at the University of Dallhousie, Mr Kissi was admitted to Cornell Law School, Cornell University, for another master’s degree program in Banking, Corporate, Finance and Security Law.
Whilst at Cornell Law School, he was the editor of the Cornell LL.M. Newsletter.
Lawyer Kissi Agyebeng has two Master of Laws (LL.M.) degrees from both Dalhouse University and Cornell Law School.
The Special Prosecutor of Ghana
Mr. Kissi Agyebeng became the second Special Prosecutor of Ghana after he was nominated by the Attorney General of Ghana, Godfred Yeboah Dame, on April 26th, 2021.
His nomination was in accordance with section 13 (8) of the Office of the Special Prosecutor Act 2017 (Act 959), which states that, “When the position of the Special Prosecutor becomes vacant, the president shall, within six months, appoint another qualified person for that portfolio”.
He was subsequently vetted and approved by the Parliament of Ghana on Friday, July 30th, 2021,
On Thursday, August 5th, 2021, Mr Kissi Agyabeng was sworn into office by the president of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo.
Mr Kissi’s nomination became possible after his predecessor and the first Special Prosecutor of Ghana, Martin Kaiser Amidu resigned in 2020, with President Akufo-Addo accepting his resignation on November 16, 2020.
Kissi Agyebeng Career
In 2003, Lawyer Kissi Agyebeng began his career as a Teaching Assistant after completing Ghana School of Law.
He has since October, 2006, been a law lecturer at the University of Ghana, teaching and researching into Criminal Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Law, Corporate Law, and Legal Research and Writing.
In 2009, he doubled as the International Humanitarian Law lecturer at the Regional Maritime University in Nungua, Accra.
In 2011, Kissi Agyebeng joined the Ghana Armed Forces Staff College, and a year later, taught Criminal Law at Mountcrest University College.
In 2013 and 2014, he taught Criminal Law at Central University College, and the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) respectively.
Until his appointment and assumption thereof as the Special Prosecutor in 2021, Mr Kissi was a fulltime lecturer at the University of Ghana.
Besides his profession as a lawyer and law lecturer, Mr Kissi is an Associate at the African Center for Cyber Law and Cyber Crime Prevention, and the National Moot Court Coordinator for the Commonwealth Moot Court Competition on International Criminal Justice.
Kissi Agyebeng also has a wide range of expertise in consulting for public sector institutions, including the Attorney General’s Department, Exim Bank Ghana Ltd., Youth Employment Authority, National Lottery Authority, Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, Trade Fair Company Limited, and the Ghana Olympic Committee.
Kissi Agyebeng also served as the Vice-Chair of the Appeals Committee of the Ghana Football Association.
Mr Agyebeng’s many years of legal experience has seen him become the counsel for high profile Ghanaian personalities, including Black Stars player Asamoah Gyan, ace investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, among others.
Kissi Agyebeng Law Firm, Legal Practice
Mr Kissi is the Managing Partner of Cromwell Gray LLP — a reputable law firm in Accra, Ghana.
Agyebeng started his legal career as an associate at Zoe, Akyea and Co. Law firm.
In 2008, he joined the Center for Public Interest Law (CEPIL) — a Human Rights/Public Interest Law Firm in Accra, and a year later, gained employment at the Accra-based Ayine and Felli Law Firm as a Senior Associate.
Prior to his appointment as the Special Prosecutor, Kissi Agyebeng was a Managing Partner of Cromwell Gray LLP — a reputable law firm in Accra, Ghana.
He was also the chairman of the Electronic Communications Tribunal of Ghana — a tribunal responsible for the adjudication of appeals from verdicts of the National Communications Authority (NCA) and the Dispute Resolution Committee of the NCA, with regards to the use of electronic communications, how broadcasting is regulated, and the utilization of the electro-magnetic spectrum, in addition to other related matters.
He was made chairman of the tribunal on July 1st, 2019, succeeding Samuel Date-Bah, formerly Justice of the Supreme Court of Ghana.
Mr Kissi Agyebeng is a professional lawyer and the current Special Prosecutor of Ghana.
Mr Kissi has an estimated net worth of $1,000,000 USD.
Kissi Agyebeng Selected Cases Conducted
- Republic v. High Court, Accra; ex parte Commission for Human Rights & Administrative Justice (Addo – Interested Party) [2003-2004] SCGLR 312
- Standard Chartered Bank v. Victoria Island Properties & ANZ Grindlays Bank Ltd. [2007-2008] 2 SCGLR 721
- Republic v. Kwabena Amaning alias Tagor & Anor. (2009), Court of Appeal, Accra
- Standard Bank Offshore Trust Company Ltd (substituted by Dominion Corporate Trustees Ltd.) v. National Investment Bank & Ors. (2010), High Court, Accra
- Justice Dery v. Tiger Eye PI, Chief Justice & Attorney-General [2015-2016] SCGLR 812
- Justices Logoh, Dery & Ayisi-Addo v. Tiger Eye PI, Chief Justice & Attorney-General [2015-2016] 2 SCGLR 1052
- Gabby Otchere-Darko v. Kevin Ekow Ebow Taylor (2020), High Court, Accra.
Kissi Agyebeng Credentials
- LLM (Corporate Law and Securities Regulation) – Cornell Law School, Ithaca, NY (2006)
- LLM (Marine and Environmental Law)- Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (2005)
- BL- Ghana School of Law, Accra, Ghana
- LLB- University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
Kissi Agyebeng Areas of Expertise
- Telecommunications Law
- Energy Law
- Construction Law
- Real Estate Law
- Government Contracts
- Procurement Law
- Law of the Sea
- Ocean law and Policy
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Maritime Law
- International Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Business Transactions
- Criminal Law
- International Criminal Law
- Sports Law
- Media Law
Kissi Agyebeng Publications
- Theory in Search of Practice – The Right of Innocent Passage in the Territorial Sea, 39 CORNELL INT’L L. J., (2006) 371.
- Minority Rights in Corporate Governance in Ghana: The End of the Rule in
- Foss v. Harbottle?, in Ghana Law Since Independence: History, Development and Prospects, Mensa-Bonsu et al eds, 73 (Black Mask Ltd, 2007).
- To Disclose or Not to Disclose the Offence – That is the Question: The Case of Allan William Hodgson (2008-2010) 24 UGLJ 87.
- A Commitment to Law, Development & Public Policy: A Festschrift in Honour of Nana Dr. SKB Asante (Wildy, Simmonds & Hill Publishing, 2016) – co-editor.
Kissi Agyebeng Fellowships
- Fellow – Canadian International Development Agency Fellowship for the Marine
- Environmental Law Program, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Fellow – Institute of African Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
Kissi Agyebeng Facebook
@kissi.agyebeng or https://www.facebook.com/kissi.agyebeng/
Source: George Awiadem Maclean | BieGyaNation.Com