Who is Genevieve Nnaji in Nigeria?
Genevieve Nnaji is an award-wining Nigerian actress, singer, movie producer, model, director, entrepreneur, and mother of one.
She became the first actress to win the Africa Movie Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role in 2005.
In 2009, American superstar, Oprah Winfery described Genevieve Nnaji as “Julie Roberts of Africa”.
In 2011, the Nollywood superstar made it to Forbes’ “The 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa 2011″ list.
In May, 2012, Genevieve received the national honour of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic from President Goodluck Jonathan for her contribution to the Nollywood industry.
Also in 2012, the Lionheart actress topped the list of “Top 5 Hottest Celebrities in Nigeria”.
Genevieve is considered to be one of the highest paid and the richest actress in Nigeria and Africa for that matter.
Her Lionheart movie became the first Netflix film from Nigeria and also, the first Nigerian submission to the Oscars, which was subsequently disqualified for having most of its dialogue in English.
She has become a role model and source of inspiration to many young Nigerian actresses and actors alike.
Undoubtedly, Genevieve Nnaji still remains the most celebrated Nigerian actress in the Nollywood industry.
The beautiful actress has bagged many awards, including “Outstanding Foreign Film for Lionheart” at the The 19th Black Reel Awards, among others.
- Who is Genevieve Nnaji in Nigeria?
- Is Genevieve Nnaji’s daughter married?
- Does Genevieve Nnaji have a husband?
- Genevieve Nnaji Daughter
- Genevieve Nnaji Daughter Age
- Music Career
- Movie Career
- Modeling Career
- Endorsement Deals, Commercials
- Net Worth
- Charity, Philanthrophy
- Awards and Nominations
- 92nd Academy Awards (Oscars) — 2020
- The 19th Black Reel Awards (FAAAF)] — 2019
- Toronto International Film Festival — 2018
- Africa Movie Academy Awards — 2005 – 2011
- Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards — 2013-2016
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards — 2009-2016
- Nollywood Movies Awards — 2012
- Ghana Movie Awards — 2010
- Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards — 2012
- Nollywood and African Film Critics Awards (NAFCA) — 2013
- Zulu African Film Academy Awards — 2011
- City People Entertainment Awards — 2001
- Best of Nollywood Awards — 2010-2011
- Is Genevieve Nnaji married?
- Who is the husband of Genevieve Nnaji?
Genevieve Nnaji was born on Thursday, May 3rd, 1979.
Genevieve is currently 43 years old and will be 44 years old come next year, 2023.
Genevieve Nnaji hails from Mbaise in Imo State of the eastern part of Nigeria.
The finest Nigerian actress was raised in a middle-class home in Lagos, Nigeria.
Genevieve Nnaji was born to Mr Theophilus Nnaji and Madam Benedatte Nnaji in Imo State, Nigeria.
Whilst her father was an engineer, her mother worked as a nursery school teacher.
Genevieve is the fourth born of eight children of her dad and mum.
Genevieve Nnaji has 7 siblings — brothers and sisters — as her family.
The Nollywood actress, who is the fourth child, has 3 elder siblings and 4 younger siblings.
Some of the notable names of her siblings are Stephen Nnaji, Ebuka Nnaji, among others.
Her brother, Stephen Nnaji graduated from the University of London (International programme) in 2012.
Genevieve Nnaji went to Methodist Girls College in Yaba in Lagos, Nigeria.
She graduated with a bachelor’s degree in creative arts from the University of Lagos(UNILAG), Nigeria.
This was after she had given birth to her daughter, Dora.
Genevieve actually started her acting career whilst a student at the University of Lagos(UNILAG).
Is Genevieve Nnaji’s daughter married?
Yes, Theodora Chimebuka Nnaji aka Dora is married to Prince Osi Chigozie Ikediwa.
Their marrage ceremony took place in 2016 in Mbaise, the hometown of Genevieve.
The couple currently has a son, the first grandson of Genevieve Nnaji.
Does Genevieve Nnaji have a husband?
At the moment, Genevieve Nnaji is not married, known to be single and has yet to reveal the man she is in a relationship with.
Genevieve Nnaji in the past dated the likes of Pat Attah, D’Banj, Okechukwu Joseph, Atiku Abubakar, and Kunle Coker.
The Nollywood actress, who is still single at 43 in 2022, only got ‘married’ to Nollywood actor Joseph Benjamin in the Nigerian movie, ‘Tango With Me’.
Genevieve Nnaji Daughter
At age 17, Genevieve Nnaji, who was impregnated by her then teenage boyfriend, gave birth to her one and only daughter, Theodora Chimebuka Nnaji, who is affectionately called Dora.
Genevieve has never mentioned or talked about the biological father of her daughter because she had problems with him for not taking responsility for the pregnancy from the beginning.
Through thick and thin, Genevieve, who became pregnant whilst a student, raised her daughter with the help of her parents.
Other reports also suggest that because Genevieve was young when she conceived at the age of 16, she gave her daughter for adoption to a close relative.
According to Genevieve, although the pregnancy slowed her down initially, she is forever happy and very thankful to God that she did not abort her daughter when she conceived her.
For her, she is super excited and very proud to see how beautiful her daughter has grown over the years and how much she has personally also achieved in life.
Even though Theodora studied Mass Communication whilst at the university level, she abandoned it and ventured into the beauty and makeup industry.
Dora is currently the boss and owner of NAJ Makeup Studio, which is located in Yaba in Lagos, Nigeria.
Genevieve Nnaji Daughter Age
Genevieve Nnaji’s daughter, Theodora Chimebuka Nnaji was born in the year, 1996.
Dora is 26 years old as of 2022 and this is based on the fact that her mother, Genevieve Nnaji gave birth to her at age 17.
In 2004, Genevieve Nnaji launched her music career to the admiration of many of her fans across the African continent.
The mother of one signed a recording deal with Ghanaian record label, EKB Records owned by Kiki Banson.
On December 11th, 2004, Genevieve released her debut studio album titled, One Logologo Line — which was a mixture of R&B, HipHop, and Urban music.
Track listing of the One Logologo Line album:
- Ma Bre’Wo (featuring Obour)
- Thinking of You (featuring Kojo Antwi)
- Native Doctor (featuring Dede)
- One Logologo Line (featuring V.I.P)
- Bump it Up
- No More
- Missing You
At the tender age of eight, Genevieve Nnaji’s acting career had taken off smoothly.
In 1987, Genevieve as a child actress featured in the then-popular television soap opera titled, Ripples.
Whilst she was a student at the University of Lagos, Genevieve started auditioning for roles at the various audition centers by movie production companies in Nollywood.
According to the actress, her prime motive for joining the movie industry was because of the passion she had for acting and also, to be able to provide for her family.
In 1998, Genevieve Nnaji at 19 made her debut in the blockbuster Nollywood movie, Most Wanted.
The Nollywood actress has starred in over 80 Nollywood movies, including Sharon Stone, Church Business, Games Women Play, the highly acclaimed Ijele, among others.
Genevieve’s performance in the 2002 movie, Sharon Stone catapulted her career to be regarded as one of the best actresses not only in Nigeria but also in other African and European countries.
This is how come in 2009, she earned the great compliment, “Julia Roberts of Africa” from the international American Media mogul and philanthropist, Oprah Winfrey.
In 2015, Genevieve produced her first movie titled, Road to Yesterday. Because of its commercial success, Road to Yesterday clinched the Overall Best Movie – West Africa award at the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards 2016.
In 2017, it was announced that she was set to star in a Hollywood movie alongside actresses like Kate Beckinsale and Gugu Mbatha-Raw, making her the first Nigerian actress to achieve such feat.
In 2018, Genevieve directed her own movie, Lionheart which starred herself, Pete Edochie, Onyeka Onwenu, Kanayo O Kanayo, Nkem Owoh, Phyno, Peter Okoye, among others.
In September, 2018, giant American subscription streaming service, Netfilx purchased the worldwide rights to stream LionHeart, making it the first original film from Nigeria to be streamed on that international platform.
LionHeart was nominated by the OSCARS but was disqualified because most of its dialogue was done in English.
Genevieve Nnaji is a household name, one of the highest paid and the most sought-after actress that many look up to for inspiration in the Nollywood industry.
- Fela Ten-Twenty (2021)
- Lionheart — played the role of Adaeze, and also as the Director and Writer (2018)
- Farming — played the role of Tolu as Supporting Actress (2018)
- Road to Yesterday — played the role of Victoria with Oris Erhuero and Majid Michel (2015)
- The Truth with Olisa — was Guest in the TV Series (2014)
- Doctor Bello — with Isaiah Washington, Vivica A. Fox, Justus Esiri, and Stephanie Okereke (2013)
- Half of a Yellow Sun — played the role of Ms. Adebayo with Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Onyeka Onwenu, and OC Ukeje (2013)
- Weekend Getaway — with Ramsey Noah, Ini Edo, Monalisa Chinda (2012)
- Sacred Lies — played the role of Isabella with Olu Jacobs, Desmond Elliot, & Nadia Buari (2011)
- Ijé: The Journey — played the role of Chioma Opara with Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, Odalys García, & Clem Ohameze (2010)
- Tango With Me — played the role of Lola with Joke Silva & Joseph Benjamin (2010)
- Bursting Out — played the role of Zara Williams with Majid Michel, Nse Ikpe-Etim, Omoni Oboli, & Desmond Elliot (2010)
- Mirror Boy — played the role of Teema with Osita Iheme (2010)
- Silent Scandals — played the role of Jessie with Majid Michel & Uche Jombo (2009)
- Felicima — played the role of Felicima with Alex Lopez (2009)
- Beautiful Soul — played the role of Olivia (2009)
- Broken Tears — with Van Vicker, Kate Henshaw-Nuttal and Grace Amah (2008)
- Critical Condition — played the role of Ify (2008)
- River of Tears — played the role of Yvonne with Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, Van Vicker, and Grace Amah (2008)
- My Idol (2008)
- Love My Way — played the role of Kayla (2008)
- Letters to a Stranger — played the role of Jemima Lawal with Yemi Blaq, Joke Silva, and Segun Arinze (2007)
- Keep My Will (2007)
- Warrior’s Heart (2007)
- Unfinished Business — played the role of Nkem (2007)
- Winds of Glory — played the role of Juliana (2007)
- Girls Cot with Rita Dominic & Ini Edo (2006)
- 30 Days — played the role of Chinora Onu with Segun Arinze (2006)
- Darkest Night — with Richard Mofe-Damijo & Segun Arinze (2005)
- Games Women Play — with Stella Damasus-Aboderin, Desmond Elliot, & Zack Orji (2005)
- Rip-Off — with Ramsey Nouah (2005)
- Bumper to Bumper — with Georgina Onuoha (2004)
- Critical Decision — with Richard Mofe-Damijo, Stephanie Okereke, & Mike Ezuruonye (2004)
- Dangerous Sister — with Tony Umez & Dakore Egbuson (2004)
- Goodbye New York — with Rita Dominic (2004)
- He Lives in Me (2004)
- Into Temptation — with Ramsey Nouah (2004)
- My First Love — with Tony Umez (2004)
- Never Die for Love (2004)
- Promise Me Forever — with Stephanie Okereke (2004)
- Stand by Me (2004)
- Treasure (2004)
- Unbreakable — with Ramsey Nouah (2004)
- We Are One — with Stella Damasus-Aboderin (2004)
- Above Death: In God We Trust — with Pete Edochie, Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, Ramsey Nouah, & Zack Orji (2003)
- Blood Sister — with Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde & Tony Umez (2003)
- Break Up — with Ramsey Nouah (2003)
- Butterfly — with Ramsey Nouah (2003)
- By His Grace — with Tony Umez (2003)
- Church Business — with Ramsey Nouah & Segun Arinze (2003)
- Deadly Mistake (2003)
- Emergency Wedding — with Tony Umez (2003)
- Emotional Tears — played the role of Helen (2003)
- For Better For Worse (2003)
- Honey — with Ramsey Nouah & Pete Edochie (2003)
- Jealous Lovers — played the role of Chioma (2003)
- Keeping Faith: Is That Love? — with Richard Mofe-Damijo (2003)
- Last Weekend — with Ramsey Nouah (2003)
- Late Marriage (2003)
- Love — played the role of Anita with Richard Mofe-Damijo & Segun Arinze (2003)
- My Only Love — played the role of Angela with Ramsey Nouah (2003)
- Not Man Enough (2003)
- Passion & Pain — with Ramsey Nouah & Desmond Elliot (2003)
- Passions — with Stella Damasus-Aboderin & Richard Mofe-Damijo (2003)
- Player: Mr. Lover Man (2003)
- Private Sin — played the role of Faith with Stephanie Okereke, Richard Mofe-Damijo, & Patience Ozokwor (2003)
- Sharon Stone in Abuja — played the role of Sharon Stone (2003)
- Super Love — with Ramsey Nouah & Pete Edochie (2003)
- The Chosen One (2003)
- Women Affair (2003)
- Valentino — with Ramsey Nouah (2002)
- Fire Dancer — played the role of Nene (2002)
- Sharon Stone — played the role of Sharon Stone (2002)
- Runs! — played the role of Adesua with Gorgina Onuoha (2002)
- Power of Love — played the role of Juliet with Ramsey Nouah, Grace Amah (2002)
- Formidable Force — with Gorgina Onuoha & Hanks Anuku (2002)
- Battle Line — with Ramsey Nouah & Pete Edochie (2002)
- Love Boat — with Ramsey Nouah (2001)
- Death Warrant — played the role of Anita with Emeka Ike & Eucharia-Anunobi Ekwu (2001)
- Camouflage — with Ramsey Nouah (1999)
- Most Wanted — with Williams Cajethan (1998)
- Ripples (1987)
Apart from acting, the beautiful Nigerian actress in her youthful years also ventured into the modeling industry.
She modeled for many fashion outfits, including her own clothing line, “St Genevieve” .
Endorsement Deals, Commercials
Genevieve Nnaji has featured in several television commercials, including Pronto beverage, Omo detergent, among others.
In 2004, she signed a mouthwatering sponsorship deal that made her the “Face of Lux” in Nigeria.
In May, 2012, she became the “Face of MUD” Cosmetics in Nigeria:
She has been a brand ambassador of companies or brands like Amstel Malta, Etisalat, and Polo.
Considered as one of the richest African actresses and actors, if not the richest, Genevieve Nnaji has a number of businesses which generate her wealth.
The most influential Nigerian actress has an estimated net worth of over $13million USD which is equivalent to N5.3billion.
In 2008, Genevieve started a clothing line, “St Genevieve” and donated the proceeds from it to charity.
In 2011, Genevieve Nnaji was honoured with the medal of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR), which was conferred on her by former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Other recipients of the award were Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Kanayo O Kanayo, Stephanie Okereke, Olu Jacobs, and Chinedu Ikedieze Aki.
In 2011, Genevieve made it to the list of “The 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa 2011″ by Forbes.
Awards and Nominations
92nd Academy Awards (Oscars) — 2020
- 2020 — Best International Feature Film (LionHeart) — Disqualified
The 19th Black Reel Awards (FAAAF)] — 2019
- 2019 — Outstanding Foreign Film / World Cinema Motion Picture (Lionheart) — Winner!
Toronto International Film Festival — 2018
- 2018 — Grolsch People’s Choice Award(Lionheart) — Nominated
Africa Movie Academy Awards — 2005 – 2011
- 2005 — Best Actress in Leading Role — Winner!
- 2008 — Best Actress in Leading Role (30 Days/Keep My Will) — Nominated
- 2011 — Best Actress in Leading Role (Tango With Me) — Nominated
Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards — 2013-2016
- 2013 — Best Actress Drama/TV Series (The Mirror Boy) — Nominated
- 2013 — Best Actress Drama/TV Series (Road To Yesterday) — Nominated
- 2013 — Best Movie West Africa (Road To Yesterday) — Winner!
Nigeria Entertainment Awards — 2009-2016
- 2009 — Best Actress — Nominated
- 2010 — Best Actress Film/Short Story (Silent Scandals) — Nominated
- 2010 — Best Actress TV Series (Guinness Ultimate Survivor) — Winner!
- 2011 — Best Actress Film/Short Story (Tango With Me) — Nominated
- 2013 — Best Actress in Leading Role (Doctor Bello) — Nominated
- 2014 — Best Actress in Supporting Role (Half of a Yellow Sun) — Winner!
- 2016 — Lead Actress in Film (Road to Yesterday) — Nominated
- 2016 — Best Picture (Road to Yesterday) — Nominated
Nollywood Movies Awards — 2012
- 2012 — Viewers Choice- Female — Winner!
- 2012 — Best Actress Leading Role (Tango with Me) — Nominated
Ghana Movie Awards — 2010
- 2010 — Best Actress-Africa Collaboration (Silent Scandals) — Winner!
Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards — 2012
- 2012 — Best Actress- Viewers Choice — Nominated
Nollywood and African Film Critics Awards (NAFCA) — 2013
- 2013 — Best Actress Leading Role (Weekend Getaway) — Winner!
Zulu African Film Academy Awards — 2011
- 2011 — Best Actress (The Mirror Boy) — Winner!
City People Entertainment Awards — 2001
- 2001 — Best Actress — Winner!
Best of Nollywood Awards — 2010-2011
- 2010 — Best Actress-Leading Role (Silent Scandals) — Nominated
- 2011 — Best Actress-Leading Role (The Mirror Boy) — Nominated
- 2011 — Best Kiss with Majid Michel (Bursting Out) — Winner!
#genevievennaji OR https://www.instagram.com/genevievennaji/
#GenevieveOfficial Or https://web.facebook.com/GenevieveOfficial
# genevievennaji1 OR https://twitter.com/genevievennaji1
Source: George Awiadem Maclean | BieGyaNation.Com
Is Genevieve Nnaji married?
No, Genevieve Nnaji is not married and still remains single at 43 as of the year, 2022.
Who is the husband of Genevieve Nnaji?
Genevieve Nnaji has never been married before and so has no ex husband.