Burna Boy Full Biography:
Born Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu Rex, Burna Boy is a Grammy nominee Afro-fusion singer, reggae-dancehall artist, songwriter, rapper, and dancer.
He burst onto the music scene in the early 2010s but had his breakthrough in 2012 with the release of his lead single, “Like to Party” off his debut studio album, “L.I.F.E”.
His 2018 released album, “Outside” hit number three on the US Billboard Reggae chart and also won the Nigeria Entertainment Award for Album of the Year.
Burna Boy won the “Best International Act: Africa”at both the 2019 & 2020 BET Awards, and also took home the 2019 MTV Europe Music Award for Best African Act.
He is signed to Bad Habit/Atlantic Records in the United States and Warner Music Group internationally. He is also the CEO of Spaceship Entertainment record label.
- Burna Boy Full Biography:
- Burna Boy Age & Date of Birth
- Burna Boy Height & Weight: how tall is he?
- Burna Boy Primary, Senior High School & University Education
- Burna Boy Childhood & Early Life, Parents, Family, Hometown, mother Bosede Ogulu, sister Nissi
- Burna Boy Music Career
- Burna Boy girlfriend, baby mama, wife, children, marriage, relationship?
- Controversy & Beef alert: Burna Boy & AKA feud, Xenophobia
- Burna Boy featured on Beyonce’s “The Lion King: The Gift” album
- Burna Boy Albums
- Burna Boy Record Label: Aristokrat, Atlantic Records, Warner
- Burna Boy Movie Career
- Burna Boy Luxurious Cars
- Burna Boy Endorsement Deals, Sponsorship
- Burna Boy’s Net Worth
- Awards, Nominations, Accolades
- Grammy Awards (2020)
- BET Awards (2019—2020)
- MTV Europe Music Awards (2019)
- African Muzik Magazine Awards (2019)
- The Headies (2013—2019)
- All Africa Music Awards (2019)
- Brit Awards (2020)
- Soundcity MVP Awards Festival (2019—>2020)
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards (2013—2015)
- South African Music Awards (2013)
- MTV Africa Music Awards (2013)
- Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (2020)
- Burna Boy Instagram
- Burna Boy Twitter
Burna Boy Age & Date of Birth
Damini Ogulu aka Burna Boy was born on Tuesday, July 2nd, 1991.
The “Killin Dem” hitmaker is currently 29 years of age and will be 30 come next year, 2021.
Burna Boy Height & Weight: how tall is he?
Damini Ogulu is one tall Nigerian artiste whose height is 6ft 1 inch or 1.85 metres tall. His weight is 84 kg (185 lbs).
Burna Boy Primary, Senior High School & University Education
Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu attended Montessori International primary school in Port Harcourt between 1993-2002.
The multi-talented singer completed Corona Secondary School in Lagos (2002-2008).
Burna Boy travelled to the United Kingdom to study Media Technology at the University of Sussex (from 2008–2009), and also Media Communications and Culture at the Oxford Brookes University (from 2009–2010).
The African superstar did a one year internship with Rhythm 93.7 FM in Port Harcourt after school.
Burna Boy Childhood & Early Life, Parents, Family, Hometown, mother Bosede Ogulu, sister Nissi
Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu was born to Nigerian parents Samuel Ogulu and Bosede Ogulu in Ahoada, Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
Burna Boy’s younger sister, Jehova Nissi Ogulu is also a musician (released her debut album titled “Pay Attention” in 2016), mechanical engineer, car designer, artist/painter, and philanthropist.
Whilst his father managed a welding company, his mother, Bosede Ogulu — who has a Bachelor of Arts degree in foreign languages (speaks French, Italian, German, English & Yoruba), and a Masters of Arts in translation — worked as a translator for the Federation of West African Chambers of Commerce for a number of years.
Burna Boy’s grandfather, the famous Benson Idonije is a veteran Broadcaster and the first man to manage the King of Afro beat, Fela Anikulapo Kuti.
Burna Boy Music Career
At age 10, Burna Boy had begun making his own beats after he was introduced to music production software, “FruityLoops” by his fellow classmate.
He moved to London (UK) to further his education at a UK-based University but dropped out after two years and returned to his homeland, Nigeria, to pursue his passion for music.
In 2010, then 19-year-old Burna Boy traveled to Nigeria’s southern coast where he met music producer, LeriQ who had his own studio.
In 2011, he released his first record titled, “Shobeedo (Freestyle)”. He followed it up with “Burn Notice” and “Burn Identity”.
On May 31st, 2012, Burna Boy and his acquaintance music producer LeriQ worked together to create his first commercial song, “Like to Party” — with its video released on September 5th, 2012 — which shot him to fame.
On August 13th, 2013, the multi-talented singer released his debut studio album titled “L.I.F.E (Leaving an Impact For Eternity)” under Aristokrat Records which had features from the likes of Wizkid, Timaya, 2face, and M.I.
They sold 40,000 copies of L.I.F.E. on the first day of its release and sold its marketing rights to Uba Pacific for 10 million Naira.
On November 25th, 2015, Burna Boy released his second studio album titled, “On a Spaceship”.
In 2016, he dropped his Extended Play (EP) titled, “Redemption”.
In 2017, he teamed up with music producer Juls to produce his single, “Rock Your Body”.
Other singles he released throughout the year 2017, included: “GBA”, “Streets of Africa”, “Koni Baje”, and “Sekkle Down” which featured J Hus.
In on January 26th, 2018, Burna Boy, after dropping his Lily Allen-aided single titled “Heaven’s Gate”, released his third studio album titled, “Outside”.
The “Outside” album, which ranked number 3 on the US Billboard Reggae Albums chart in February 2018, was produced by Leriq, Baba Stiltz, Jae 5, Juls, Chopstix, Steel Banglez, Fred Gibson, Phantom, and FTSE. The album
In 2019, he dropped his single “Killin Dem” which was a collaboration he had with Zlatan.
On March 21st, 2019, Burna Boy released a 4-track Extended Play (EP) titled “Steel & Copper” which he collaborated with Los Angeles-based electronic duo, DJDS.
On July 26th, 2019, he released his much-anticipated fifth album, “African Giant” which had hit singles like “Dangote”, “On the Low”, “Pull Up”, “Killin Dem”.
On November 19th, 2019, the “African Giant” album was nominated in the “Best World Music Album” category at the 62nd Grammy Awards.
In August 2020, Burna Boy dropped the full-length album, “Twice as Tall” which included the single “Wonderful”, and had features from the likes Youssou N’Dour, Naughty by Nature, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, among others.
Burna Boy girlfriend, baby mama, wife, children, marriage, relationship?
Burna Boy is known to be in a relationship with British rapper, singer, and songwriter, Stephanie victoria Allen aka Stefflon Don.
The two — Burna Boy and his sweetheart Stefflon Don — met on a trip to Ghana where she (Stefflon Don) attended a show by Burna Boy after she had missed her flight.
She told Power 105: “I was in Africa for a show then I missed my flight, he had a show where he performed and I went to the show and the rest is history baby. He told me I was going to be his wife and you know how boys always talk shit, but I didn’t remember he said that but he told me and I was like wow.”
Stefflon Don addressed rumours that they had split back in 2019 when an old video of Burna Boy and his previous girlfriend surfaced on social media.
Addressing the issue in an Instagram video, the ‘Hurtin Me’ star said, “OLD OLD VIDEOS. Please let it rest. We good over here.”
In May 2016, Burna Boy’s alleged baby mama known as Uju Stella Johnson accused him on Instagram for abandoning her and their baby after getting impregnated and giving birth.
Uju Stella Johnson further accused the “African Giant” artist of raping a girl in the United Kingdom and abandoning his trial process.
In his response, the “Dangote” singer admitted to sleeping with Stella once but denied getting her pregnant.
Controversy & Beef alert: Burna Boy & AKA feud, Xenophobia
South African artiste, AKA (Super Mega) and Burna Boy were once very close friends and in 2014, released the hit song, “All Eyes On Me”. AKA also had a collaboration with Burna Boy on his Baddest song.
Then in August 2019, Burna Boy, during the xenophobic attacks in South Africa, accused AKA of inciting violence for comments he had made after Nigeria’s Super Green Eagles eliminated South Africa’s Bafana Bafana from the 2019 Afcon.
AKA, who didn’t take kindly to Burna’s accusation, also fired back and the exchanges went on.
Burna Boy in protest of xenophobic attacks promised not to visit South Africa unless the government put measures in place to avoid and prevent the attacks in the future.
Burna Boy featured on Beyonce’s “The Lion King: The Gift” album
In 2019, Burna Boy got the opportunity to be featured on Beyonce’s Ja Ara E song off her much-talked about curated Lion King soundtrack, ‘The Gift’.
Burna Boy Albums
- L.I.F.E (August 12, 2013)
- On a Spaceship (2015)
- Outside (January 26th, 2018)
- African Giant (July 26th, 2019)
- Twice As Tall (August 14, 2020)
Burna Boy Record Label: Aristokrat, Atlantic Records, Warner
In 2014, Burna boy left Aristokrat records to form his own record label named as Spaceship Entertainment in 2015.
In 2017, Burna Boy signed a deal with Bad Habit/Atlantic Records in the United States and Warner Music Group internationally.
Burna Boy Movie Career
The “Dangote” hitmaker has so far starred in two Nigerian movies namely; “Déjà vu”, and “P.A.I.D”.
Directed by Sesan, “Déjà vu” was released in 2015 whilst P.A.I.D which was directed by Clarence Peters was released in 2017.
Burna Boy Luxurious Cars
Burna Boy currently owns a Mercedes Benz worth over 20 million Naira; Range Rover Sports car worth over 18 million Naira; G-wagon, and Lexus salon 2015.
Burna Boy Endorsement Deals, Sponsorship
Burna boy is a brand ambassador for Globacom, Star Lager beer (Nigerian Breweries Plc), and Mortell Cognac.
Burna Boy’s Net Worth
According to a report by Forbes, Burna Boy is worth at least $USD3.5 million to $USD10 million.
Awards, Nominations, Accolades
Grammy Awards (2020)
- 2020 — Best World Music Album (African Giant) — Nominated
BET Awards (2019—2020)
- 2020 — Best International Act: Africa — Winner!
- 2019 — Best International Act: Africa — Winner!
- 2019 — Viewer’s Choice — Nominated
MTV Europe Music Awards (2019)
- 2019 — Best African Act — Winner!
African Muzik Magazine Awards (2019)
- 2019 — Best Collaboration (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) — Nominated
- 2019 — Song Of The Year (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) — Winner!
- 2019 — Video Of The Year (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) — Nominated
- 2019 — Best Live Act — Nominated
- 2019 — Artiste Of The Year — Winner!
- 2019 — Best Male West Africa — Nominated
- 2019 — Crossing Boundaries with music — Nominated
The Headies (2013—2019)
- 2019 — Artiste Of The Year — Winner!
- 2019 — Viewer’s Choice — Nominated
- 2019 — Best Recording Of The Year (“Ye”) — Nominated
- 2019 — Best Pop Single (“Ye”) — Nominated
- 2019 — Song Of The Year (“Ye”) — Winner!
- 2019 — Best R&B/Pop Album (“Outside”) — Nominated
- 2019 — Album Of The Year (“Outside”) — Nominated
- 2019 — Best Collaboration (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) — Winner!
- 2014 — Best R&B Single (“Don Gorgon”) — Nominated
- 2014 — Best R&B/Pop Album (“L.I.F.E”) — Nominated
- 2014 — Hip Hop World Revelation of the year (“L.I.F.E”) — Nominated
- 2014 — Album of the year (“L.I.F.E”) — Nominated
- 2013 — Next Rated — Nominated
- 2013 — Best R&B Single (“Like To Party”) — Nominated
All Africa Music Awards (2019)
- 2019 — West African Male Artiste Of the year — Winner!
- 2019 — Album Of The Year (“African Giant”) — Winner!
Brit Awards (2020)
- 2020 — International Male Solo Artist — Nominated
- 2020 — Song Of The Year (“Location” by Dave feat. Burna Boy) — Nominated
Soundcity MVP Awards Festival (2019—>2020)
- 2020 — Song Of The Year (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) — Winner!
- 2020 — Best Collaboration (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) — Nominated
- 2020 — African Artiste Of The Year — Winner!
- 2020 — Best Male MVP — Winner!
- 2020 — Listener’s Choice (“Killin Dem” ft. Zlatan) —Nominated
- 2020 — Viewers’ Choice (“On The Low”) —Nominated
- 2019 — Song Of The Year (“Ye”) — Winner!
- 2019 — Listener’s Choice (“Ye”) — Winner!
- 2019 — Best Male MVP — Winner!
- 2019 — African Artiste Of The Year — Winner!
Nigeria Entertainment Awards (2013—2015)
- 2015 — Best Album of the year (L.I.F.E) — Winner!
- 2015 — Best Pop Artiste of the year — Nominated!
- 2013 — Best New Act Of The Year — Winner!
South African Music Awards (2013)
- 2013 — Best Pop (“Like To Party”) — Winner!
MTV Africa Music Awards (2013)
- 2014 — Best New Act — Nominated
Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (2020)
- 2020 —African Artiste of the Year — Winner!
Burna Boy Instagram
@burnaboygram OR https://www.instagram.com/burnaboygram
Burna Boy Twitter
@burnaboy Or https://twitter.com/burnaboy
Source: George Awiadem Maclean | BieGyaNation.Com